Monday, July 4, 2016

Life with bunions before surgery...

My life with bunions...

I cannot recall exactly when I started having bunions. All I remember was after coming home from middle school one day, my feet were aching. It all began when I noticed a bump at the corner of my big toe from both feet and I was embarrassed to show anyone. Overtime, I began to feel more uncomfortable whenever I wore shoes, especially after PE (physical education) when I had to run miles. 

I used to get jealous of how straight other girls' feet are comparing to mines and how nice their feet would look with sandals. Who looks at people's feet right? Well when your toes are crooked then maybe you might start staring at other people's toes .... just saying.. or maybe I was just too insecured...

I did not care so much for the appearance of my feet until I started high school. I became more insecured and embarrassed to wear sandals in public because I was afraid that people would notice the bumps on my toes. My friends told me no one looks at people's feet but hellooo..... I saw those eyeballs rolling whenever they walk by or standing next to me, haha. It was definitely not a good feeling, especially when you are a teenager. 

Anyway, I must say the hardest part of having bunions is buying shoes that fit! On top of that is PAIN!! I bought everything WIDE or half size bigger. Flats were not my friends simply because my bunions stick out and you can totally see it. Plus my bunions would rub against the side of any footwear and cause pain. 

So.. years later I did some research and realized that bunions are hereditary and that I shouldn't be ashamed of my genes. I can do something about it. There are treatments for bunions. I did not tell my parents about how I felt about my bunions because I didn't want them to worry for me. I wanted to deal with it on my own. 

In my first blog I did mentioned seeking treatment for my bunions when I was 18 years old but was denied due to cheap insurance. I finally have a career now that enables me to afford my own medical insurance and get treatment for my bunions. 

Let's pass it forward....

Going into this surgery I knew that I had to be mentally prepared for a long recovery process. I knew that only one foot can be treated at a time and that I won't be able to walk on it for at least 6-8 weeks. I had everything planned out with work and insurance. I also planned to have both feet done before returning to work, so literally I will be on medical leave for about 6 months and hopefully not any longer. 

Alright guys... so far things are going well with my right foot post surgery. I cannot wait to start walking again. I feel truly blessed for finally making this happen and I hope that I will heal fast and that I don't have to deal with this pain anymore. 

Also, I did have a very bad financial experience with my insurance at the beginning and I paid a lot of money out of pocket but..... LESSON LEARNED....

Oh one more thing. People questioned me and said that I shouldn't put myself through surgery at this age when I should be out enjoying life instead of being stuck at home and hopping around on one foot... well after seeing my friend's dad at 60 years old with bunions (that were not as bad as mines) walking in pain during the cold weather, I couldn't wait any longer to do something about mines. I don't want to wait until I'm older and take longer to heal... I'd rather lay low for half of a year now and be able to enjoy the rest of my life later ... 
BUT THAT'S JUST  ME THOUGH....

No comments:

Post a Comment