Sunday, June 5, 2016

Pre-Op LAPIDUS Bunionectomy and SURGERY

Hello..
Welcome to my blog!

This is my very FIRST blog on my experience with bunion surgery. If you have any question or concern, feel free to leave any comment below!

One week prior to June of 2016, I had a pre-op appointment with my podiatrist to go over some instructions and expectations of the bunion surgery. I was informed that I will not be walking or putting any weight on my RIGHT foot for at least 6-8 weeks. CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT? :)

The podiatrist went over the types of prescription drugs that I would need to be on after surgery to aid with the recovery process and post-op pain/discomfort. He mentioned several types of conditions that can be expected after surgery such as numbness and tingling, sensitivity, and of course pain. He also went over the time and site of the outpatient center and so on. Really nothing much besides keeping my foot elevated and rest well after surgery. 

So...now let's begin...

2016 One day before surgery...


ONE DAY before my bunion surgery......Aaaahhh I am sooooo nervous for tomorrow! I am having a procedure called LAPIDUS BUNIONECTOMY.  Basically, this procedure will relocate the ENTIRE 1st metatarsal bone back to its original (native) position of the foot. Let me EXPLAIN...


I have been battling with this genetic condition since I was a kid. I began to realize that I have BUNIONS in middle school when my feet would hurt after taking off my shoes coming home from school. The corner of my first toes on both feet would be flaming red and would ache for hours. So when I turned eighteen, I took myself to a medical clinic in central San Diego and asked over 3 different general doctors if they could help me with treatment for my bunions. All three doctors turned me down because my medical insurance would not pay for it. They had suggested botox treatment, orthopedic shoes, and bunion surgery as the last resort.


As years go by, my bunions began to cause more pain and discomfort! I had difficulty finding shoes that would fit. You've gotta understand how difficult it is to be a WOMAN! haha. Anyway, sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night with THROBBING pain shooting from my bunions. Weird right?


FINALLY... eight years later, I got a job with PPO insurance and was able to arrange the bunion surgery. I moved to Sacramento and got a referral to a PODIATRIST (foot doctor). My podiatrist recommended LAPIDUS BUNIONECTOMY for me. However, only ONE foot can be treated at a time. BUMMER!!!


For years I have been searching all over the Internet and watching many YouTube videos about bunions, its causes, and treatments. Let me break it down.....


HALLUX VALGUS is the medical term for a bunion. There are OVER 100 types of bunion surgeries! OMG! Don't get me started LOL...


LAPIDUS bunionectomy = FUSION of the 1st TMT joint. You can read about this type of surgery if you are interested because I can go on and on about it. This type of surgery is OUTPATIENT, takes about 2 hours under general anesthesia, and you will be on pain medications for as long as needed. This surgery is for moderate to severe bunions. Lapidus bunionectomy has the lowest risk of RECURRENT bunions, meaning bunions are less likely to come back after treatment.



So...since today is one day before my surgery, I made sure my belly was happy before I went to bed! By the way, I had to stop eating and drinking by 9:30 PM since my surgery is scheduled for 7:30 AM the next day. 


The picture below was taken the morning of the surgery. I had to remove my toe nail polish prior to surgery. Most doctors won't make you remove the nail polish unless the polish is made of certain material. Don't judge! 




By the way, my bunions were not this bad when I was in middle school. The bunions gradually became worse over the years due to playing sports and dancing...(volleyball, belly dancing, hip hop, wearing heels, etc)

June...2016


This is IT! I am having my RIGHT foot treated today. I checked in at 5:30AM at the outpatient surgery center. The nurses and staffs were wonderful and made me feel very comfortable. IV was done with little discomfort. I met my ANESTHESIOLOGIST and he was so NICE and explained EVERYTHING so clear. My podiatrist greeted me, went over my medical history, and marked the foot he's going to perform surgery on. I was READY!


A little past 7 AM, an OR (operating room) nurse came and transferred me to the operating room...

And then....the next thing I know....I woke up in the outpatient bed. I was NUMB, nauseous, and HANGRY! LOL


Around noon, a male nurse wheel-chaired me to the Exit door and helped me get in my car. Of course I didn't drive to the hospital or back home. 



I was prescribed with NORCO (Hydrocodon-acetaminophen) for pain, and had to inject blood thinner ONCE a day for 14 days (at the same time everyday) into my abdomen to prevent blood clot. This injection is called ENOXAPARIN sodium injection. This blood thinner is definitely NOT my favorite!


Throughout the rest of the day, I did not have the appetite to consume any food although I was hungry. I literally threw up right after I ate rice porridge. So for the rest of the night I was in bed and slept like a panda bear! LOL.. The only time I got up was to use the restroom. I forgot to mention that my anesthesiologist gave me a BLOCK injection during the surgery to keep my foot numbed for 24 hours. This block really helps with postoperative pain.


Well, I will continue blogging about my recovery process in the next blog so make sure to tune in for more!! I will also post more pictures on my next blog. I will be doing a 2 week POST-OP, 6 weeks, etc. I promise the pictures will be more clear in the next blog as well. 


I hope this blog gives you the information you needed. Good luck if you are going through the same thing right now! 

Oh don't forget... KEEP YOUR FOOT ELEVATED!!!







"Every new day is another chance to change your life."







No comments:

Post a Comment